Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Marzipan Days

It's come to my attention that some blog readers may think that I sit in a depressed, overwhelmed stupor struggling to cope with the ins and outs of law school, and by extension, my life. I'm writing today to tell you that I'm actually just fine. I think that by choosing the difficult things to write about I may have mislead you to believe that life is less than ideal. This could not be further from the truth.

It is true that I haven't really made any new friends, and that I find the idea of giving up my lunch break to join a student organization less than ideal, and that occasionally I study through every meal and break during my day. What I don't bother to mention, but should never be forgotten, is that every day is a choice, and I am as happy and free as I've ever wanted to be. I realize that I may seem very, "the glass is half empty" in some of my entries, but this is primarily because the full part of the glass just doesn't make for much of a story. For example, take the following:

"Today I got up and drug myself and my mug of creamed-sugared-vanillaed coffee to Criminal Law. Criminal Law is very interesting and I think my professor may be a genius. I go to Criminal Law hoping the professor will call on me. The girls who sit on either side of me talk a lot and I find this incredibly amusing. The rest of my classes I had to work at staying awake through (except for Civil Procedure because my professor occasionally sings, dances, and gives ridiculous examples that make me laugh). I had a peanut butter cookie for lunch AND for breakfast. I am happy. Peanut butter cookies are wonderful."

See? All of those things are true, but not nearly as interesting. If you like the details about the peanut butter cookies and my classmates being silly, let me know. The hard things are much more epic topics of perseverance and life learning. The good things are things like having a pint of Ben & Jerry's Mission to Marzipan in my freezer. What you need to understand is that the ice cream is just as good as the stress is bad- it's just not as interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment